CharityWatch Analysts perform an in-depth analysis of charities' audited financial statements and IRS tax filings, and often review other documents such as state filings, annual reports, and fundraising contracts during their evaluations. Below are select notes that CharityWatch believes may be of interest to donors.
Any time an Analysts' Note refers to a charity's Audited Financial Statements or IRS tax form, CharityWatch encourages interested donors to obtain a copy of the referenced documents so that they may view the information in context. Please contact the charity directly to request a copy of any referenced document. Charity tax forms and audits may also be obtained from a number of online databases. For a list of sources, please visit our LINKS page.
|According to the American Jewish World Service (AJWS) audit of April 30, 2017 (Note 3, Contributions and Contributions Receivable):|
"A significant portion of AJWS's total contributions and revenue, excluding donated services and goods, were provided by one contributor during the years ended April 30, 2017 and 2016. When donor-advised funds from the contributor are included, these contributions amounted to 68% and 59% of total contributions and revenue, respectively. When donor-advised contributions are excluded, the percentages become 35% and 30%, respectively."
|According to the American Jewish World Service (AJWS) tax filing for the fiscal year-ended April 30, 2017 re: Compensation Information (IRS Form 990, Schedule J, Parts II & III), AJWS reports paying the following "in the form of a bonus" to these individuals in calendar year 2016:|
(1) Kristine Stallone, VP for Finance & Administration: $17,323, with reported total compensation of $290,116;
(2) Rona Peligal, VP for Development: $18,700, with reported total compensation of $252,656;
(3) Jacqueline Hart, VP for SLRE: $13,090, with reported total compensation of $262,499;
(4) Stuart Schear, VP for Communications: $9,350, with reported total compensation of $266,261;
(5) Shari Turitz, VP for International Program: $18,700, with reported total compensation of $282,983;
(6) Danielle Edwards, Director of Finance: $5,000, with reported total compensation of $170,877; and
(7) Corey Lutsky, Director of Information Technology: $2,500, with reported total compensation of $190,420.